Wednesday 8 July 2009

Wet, wet, wet

And now the hot weather is followed by torrential rainstorms and flood alerts. A typical British summer then.

The wet conditions cut short my walking duties yesterday, and I only managed to do three circuits with various dogs - so not much progress made on favourites again. A sweet black boy called Kevin is a strong contender, however he is already on the reserved list, so I suspect he won't be about next time I visit.

One dog that will probably not make it onto my favourites list is a tan bitch called Rosie. A better name for her would be Butch - she's big and strong and more tank than hound - and if she was human she'd either be a bouncer or a weight-lifter.

Rosie doesn't behave very well with other dogs, so she needs to be kept on a very tight lead whenever another greyhound comes into sight. (It's preferable if she doesn't see them at all).

She also has a pesky habit of jumping at least five foot into the air to try and shake the lead out of your hand - you really have to be on your guard around her.

Anyhow Rosie was my last walk of the day. I didn't expect her to be the last walk but the heavens opened about 2 minutes away from the kennels.

Now, we don't run with the greyhounds (can you accelerate from 0-40 mph in just a few steps?) but the rain was really torrential.

Should I run back? At this point dog-mountain Rosie was giving me disgusted looks and saying: "Can't you switch this weather off?"

"Run, I dare you," said Rosie. No way, thought I. Not sure it would be particularly cool to be dragged into the kennels by a charging Rosie, besides the scrages from the gravel would hurt.

I gave Rosie a hard stare and stepped up my pace - my trousers were soaked through at this point - and we got back to the kennels just before the thunder and lightning struck.

As there were other dogs in the yard Rosie had to be returned to her kennels immediately, but not before casting me a look which said: "Can't believe you didn't run, you are just such a chicken."

2 comments:

GRACE said...

hello, I stumbled across your blog and just had to say hello. I to am a lover of all things greyhound in Australia if you would like to read the antics of my dogs please feel free to drop over to http://gracethegreyt.blogspot.com

Mykyla said...

Hello :)

I just happened to click on your blog and thought I'd let you know that I love your posts! Also, I recently started working for a really neat coffee company - Green Tree Coffee - that has "dog friendly" blends and donates $1 per pound that they sell to The Mobile Greyhound Adoption Center. Delicious coffee!! You should definitely check them out sometime! The link is:

http://www.greentreecoffee.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BEAN&Store_Code=GTCAT#mgac

(just scroll down until you see their Dog Friendly Blends section)

...feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to know more! (877) 338-0040 or mykyla@greentreecoffee.com