Wednesday 8 October 2008

Nicky goes to the park

Nicky is my current favourite. He's a darling little black boy and not much more than a puppy.

The local retired greyhound kennels have several paddock areas where dogs can spend some time outdoors when they are not being walked. One of the areas faces the tables the walkers sit at when they are waiting for their dogs.

The first time I saw Nicky he was wagging his tail so vigourously that he was shaking the mesh fence between us. I knew I would have to walk him on my next visit.

Two months later and Nicky is always the first dog I take out for a walk. He helps me unpack my rucksack when we get back and usefully points out the dog treats by sticking his nose inside. Obviously I would have forgotten all about them if he hadn't shown them to me.

However, we have just had the best treat ever. My husband had promised that we could take Nicky to the park. Not sure who was must excited - me or the dog - as this was the first time I had walked greyhounds away from the kennels.

The dog looked a little unsure when we asked him to get into the car, but soon got the idea and jumped in unaided. Nicky was so thrilled on the drive to the park, and stood with his head firmly stuck between the two front seats taking everything in. (Mental note: dog guard would be useful if we do this often).

Just a tiny hiccough when we got to the park - Nicky tried to follow me out of the front door. I rushed round to the back of the car, and he quickly realised it would be much easier to get out of the boot door.

Near the kennels Nicky sniffs for England, sometimes taking over thirty minutes to do what should be a fifteen minute walk, and I was rather worried that we wouldn't get very far with him at the park. Imagine all those wonderful new smells.

I was happily suprised. I've never seen Nicky so interested and alert. Absolutely everything was exciting. He drank in everything - obviously never imagining that such an interesting world existed outside the kennels.

He was so well behaved and happily trotted to heel - well apart from when something particularly interesting caught his attention. He skipped at squirrels, he gawped at the big lake, and he was just a little bit scared of the ducks and other dogs.

Our lovely boy didn't even complain when we got a bit lost and took him on a longer walk than we expected. Although about 10 minutes before the end of our nearly four-mile walk his head went down because he was "just sooooo tired". A quick cuddle and he assured me he'd march on. We were soon back at the car, and to show us that he now knew exactly what to do, he leapt into the back of the car, and lay down - happy and exhausted.

No comments: