Sunday 19 October 2008

Spark sees the fox

Last walk of the day was Spark, a black bundle of energy, who exploded out of her kennel, legs aquiver, straining on her lead, proclaiming: "Let me at 'em!"

Spark's kennel mate is on a home trail, so sadly for her (but thankfully for the rest of us), she lacked someone to cause trouble with. That didn't stop her though, and as I was dragged out of the front door of the local Retired Greyhound Trust home one of the kennel hands thoughtfully yelled: "If she sees anything that isn't another greyhound, just remember to hold on tight."

Yep, Spark is one of THOSE greyhounds. Like other sighthounds, greyhounds have been bred to chase something that is small and moving. This doesn't mean that they all do, and some take no notice as rabbits and squirrels cross your path. Most of the others won't take chase especially if you firmly tell them "no!"

However there are a few special exceptions, and Spark is one of them, who get wildly excited if they see something - anything - that isn't another greyhound.

As I struggled to close the gate, with Spark pulling frantically, I heard someone say: "I'm not sure who's taking who for a walk." Gate closed, the dog rushed to the side of the lane and sighed in relief - all that panic was because of a full bladder.

Suitably relieved, Spark settled down nicely onto the lead. Ten minutes in I was congratulating myself on how well the walk was going. The dog was behaving impeccably, trotting gently by my side and occasionally demanding a tickle. Must be that naughty kennel mate that causes all the trouble.

Then we saw the fox. Spark went rigid and then she pulled. Ready for this, I had her on an extremely short lead, she wasn't going anywhere.

"No," in a quiet but strict voice, "No. Good girl." After a few seconds I started to try to move her on. Spark wasn't having any of it - dog and fox were now staring at one another in a mexican stand-off.

"C'mon girl," finally she seemed to hear me, and she started to move still staring fixedly at the fox. After a bit of a wrestle I got her behind a hedge and she relaxed slightly, still glancing behind her.

A few yards on the fox was almost forgotten, so I gave her a cuddle and told her she was a good girl.

On the way home Spark had a spring in her step. "Ah, these walks are wonderful," she beamed. "I like to keep the volunteers on their toes."

No comments: