Wednesday 18 February 2009

Shawn blots his copy book

It was another school half-term week and another case of doggy-mania at the kennels yesterday.

The yard was packed, the paddock - well the part of it that you could get to, most is still flooded - was packed, the lane was packed. You could barely move for greyhounds and walkers.

It was all a bit too much for Shawn. Since Kelly was rehomed he is sharing Missy, a cheeky - and very lively - white and brindle girl. The pair SEEM to get on very well, but I think this includes having a nice chat about how much fun being naughty is!

Recently Shawn has become a bit of a growly dog around some other males. He's actually generally pretty good, and will only growl if they try to sniff either him or his girlfriend, and I've found I can usually get him to stop if I firmly tell him NO!

Earlier on in fact he'd had a bit of a growl and I'd stopped him, told him NO and the rest of the walk had been uneventful. That was until we got back to the yard.

There was a crowd of people around the gate into the yard, and I heard some growling and barking. So, I decided to take Shawn and Missy on another loop.

BIG MISTAKE. On the way back, very close to the yard, we met Kenny. Kenny is the old man of the kennels, he takes no prisoners, and likes to have a good yell at everyone. I put both dogs on a very short lead, and walked them past Kenny. Kenny started growling and barking, Shawn reciprocated, and Missy - obviously thinking she was missing out - leapt towards Kenny. (At least I think that's what happened - it's all a bit of a blur).

"NO!!!! ENOUGH OF THAT" I yelled, dragging the dogs away. No harm done - apart from a bit of a shaken walker.

Shawn seemed to know that he'd overstepped the mark, because as soon as I sat down he buried his head into my side and demanded cuddles and tickles - he's not normally so demonstrative - and gave me a look as if to say: "But, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth." Hmm, I don't think so my boy!

No comments: