Wednesday 17 December 2008

Shawn's a really good boy (thank goodness)

Dogs from the local retired greyhound rehoming kennels are always walked on the lead.

This is the case for a few reasons - some of the dogs have never been "formally" walked before, and they need to learn how to settle on a lead. Some of the dogs are nervous and would bolt if not on the lead, at least until they get to know you.

Others would shoot off into the distance at the first sight of something to chase. Finally some of the male dogs don't get on, and you need to be able to control them if they start to argue with one another.

I sometimes have nightmares about dropping a lead, or not picking up a lead properly, but thankfully I've had no problems... until today that is.

Last walk of the day was Shawn and his lovely new girlfriend (I am going to tell you all about her in another post - watch this space). She was very sprightly out of the kennels, however I grabbed the leads, and was out of the kennel gates and walking up the lane - Shawn happily trotting by my side - when I looked down, and to my horror, saw that his lead was loosely draped over his girlfriend's lead. I almost fainted!

Thank goodness for lovely Shawn being such a nice boy to walk, as I tightly wrapped BOTH leads round my arm, he looked up at me and continued trotting happily by my side muttering "You know me, I wasn't going anywhere, me".

No comments: