Friday 5 December 2008

Top girl search begins

I wrote last week about how I needed to find some new favourites at the local retired greyhound rehoming centre, because my two top dogs had been rehomed.

With Nicky back in kennels until after Christmas, I actually only need to find a new favourite girl, and the search started in earnest today. I didn't get very far because it was FREEZING, with intermittent sleet showers, and instead of doing my usual 5 circuits with 5 different single or pairs of dogs, I only did three.

I did, however, meet the beautiful Emma. She's shy in kennels, but a cheeky little so-and-so - always demanding cuddles and tickles - once you take her out for a walk.

She's the oddest colour I've ever seen on a greyhound. At first you think that she's a blue (grey) and then you get a bit closer and she actually looks quite chocolately. She's also got quite a thick coat.

I've done a quick search and can't find out an equivalent colour on the greyhound websites - so if anyone has any idea on her "official" colour please drop me a line.

Anyhow, I'll definitely take Emma out next time I visit the kennels - however, I've still to decide whether she'll fill the "top girl" spot.

The reason is she is one of those dogs that's quite "keen", with a well developed chase instinct, and one thing I like from my favourites is to be able to daydream that I might be able to take them home with me. We have two cats - and I don't they'd have a very peaceful life with Emma.

No comments: