Monday 15 December 2008

Cat testing... by mistake

There was a bit of cat testing by accident at the local retired greyhound rehoming kennels today.

I was out with the first dog of the day - a shy black boy called Joe, who I hadn't walked before - and lo and behold, sitting on a woodstack, in the middle of the small field was a tortoise-shell cat. Either a very foolish, or a kamikaze, tortoise-shell cat.

I approached the woodstack with Joe, fully expecting the cat to rush off. As Joe approached he stared, the cat looked haughty, then Joe jumped out of his skin... and... hid behind my legs.

The cat continued to look haughtily at us, and Joe shook as we walked past the woodstack. He had obviously decided that the cat was a completely terrifying creature.

The next dog I took out was Joe's girlfriend, Topsy. Amazingly the cat was still in the small field. Not for long though. Topsy took one look at the cat, and decided to chase. I luckily had her on a short lead, so the cat made her escape into the undergrowth.

The next two walks were feline-free - unfortunately so with Nicky, because I'd love to see how he reacts. (If he was well-behaved around the cat the husband may allow me to foster Nicky for a few days).

Last walk of the day was daft-old Shawn. I saw the cat darting along the path a few yards ahead of us, tail in the air. Not sure Shawn noticed though - as Mr Dopey-draws didn't react at all.

2 comments:

Pointy said...

Hi, I vounteer at Hersham as well please I would like to know-

The hound who was scared of the cat-was that Brian by any chance?

He passed away on wednesday and I miss him already so any extra info on him/stories would be most welcome.

Joolie said...

Hi Pointy,

The dog who is scared of cats is Joey. I didn't walk Brian, so don't have any stories about him.

I'm really sorry about this & sorry to hear that he has passed away. It is always so very sad :(

Hope to see you at Hersham sometime soon

Joolie