Friday 12 December 2008

Coat mystery solved

The mystery of Emma's strangely coloured thick coat has been solved. I thought that she was a bit of a two-tone girl (chocolate AND blue), and Lita from the Greyhound Awareness League has kindly dropped me an email with an explanation.

Here's the answer:

"I just wanted to reply to your questioning of Emma's chocolate colour fur and the thickness. From my experience greyhounds that are kept in outdoor kennels have what we call 'kennel coats', which is a thickening of the fur (to keep warm).

"When these hounds begin to live indoors in a warm environment, they begin to cast this old coat of fur (which can even come out in tufts and clumps) over a period of a few months.

"In the case of black greyhounds, the kennel coat can be a reddish/brown colour until cast off, and underneath the new fur is black and shiny. It can be an amazing transformation!"

I shall watch Emma with interest and let you know if she begins to shed her coat - I'll be very excited to find out what colour her hair is underneath the thick brown kennel coat. I suspect she'll be blue, but it looks like there's a very good chance she could be another black girl.

Watch this space... that is if she isn't rehomed in the meantime.

No comments: