Monday 22 December 2008

The other top dog spot is filled

I think my search for favourite dogs is complete - for the time being.

I've decided that I'm going to try and walk Joe and Topsy every time I go to the kennels. They are a lovely pair and really nice to walk together.

I've got a soft spot for Joe, because he's just such a scare-dy cat (or dog, if I was being totally accurate).

Topsy is full of life and really cheeky. However, the most endearing thing about her is the way she greets you.

Some of the dogs jump up and put their paws on your shoulders out of sheer exuberance when they first come out of their kennels. If you're not expecting it, it can knock you backwards. You quickly get to know the very exuberant dogs and you just learn to BRACE yourself.

Topsy is different. She comes out of her kennels quite quietly, fixes you with her gaze, and then, gently, hops up onto her back legs, and carefully places her front paws on you.

There she stays looking lovingly into your eyes until you remind her that a walk would be lovely and - nice as the cuddle is - we really are not going to get very far like this.

No comments: