Friday 20 February 2009

A word about muzzles

Following my post earlier in the week about the Shawn and Kenny face-off. I thought I should tell you a bit more about the rules that we follow when we walk greyhounds from the local retired greyhound rehoming kennels.

I've already talked about how we keep the dogs safe by always walking them on a lead. We also hold the lead in a special way with the loop at the top in the palm of our hand, and then the lead looped again around our forearm.

When I pass other dogs I always ensure that there is at least one walker between the sets of dogs - and always ensure that my dogs are on a short lead as we go by.

Finally all the hounds are walked with a muzzle. This protects the dogs if they do decide to have a bit of a nip and a growl. (I guess it also protects any unsuspecting squirrels that might be rooting around in the undergrowth. Although most aren't stupid enough to hang around for too long!)

This is not popular with all hounds and some will do all they can to get rid of the dreaded contraption. They'll do this by trying to flick it off with their front paws, or by rubbing the muzzle HARD against your leg. Neither method works.

However one day a few weeks ago I was asked to walk one of the dogs from the adjoining racing kennels. This lovely little black girl had developed a bit of a knack of getting rid of the muzzle. Something like a shake and a sharp flick of the head which would - somehow - send the muzzle flying in the air into the undergrowth.

I'm still not sure how she did it - the muzzle wasn't particularly loose, but in the end I did it up REALLY REALLY tightly, and this seemed to do the trick.

No comments: