Monday 26 January 2009

Ava asks for a hug

I've walked Ava and Nobby every time I've visited the local retired greyhound rehoming kennels over the past couple of weeks, and I'm happy to report that they've really started to settle down.

Yes... they do come out of their kennel like a bullet out of a gun and ...yes... they are a bit of a handful to get out of the yard if there are a number of dogs around. But, they settle down quickly on the lead, are getting the idea of walking to heel (most of the time) and they LOVE their walks.

The longest walk I've taken them on is 40 minutes, and they showed no sign of flagging. So, I think these guys would love to go for a bit of a day out and a much longer walk... although I'm not sure that my husband would allow me to take both of them in the back of the car.

They are both becoming much bolder with me. Last week Ava decided that she wanted a hug half way round our walk. She looked at me shyly, and then, very meekly lifted her front paws, before putting them back down on the floor.

I tapped my shoulders and said: "Yes you can come up". She didn't need another invitation. My only problem was getting her back down again to carry on with the walk... she was quite happy where she was!

Meanwhile Nobby just prefers "sitting" on my lap when we are back in the yard, either by putting his front paws on my knees, or shuffling back so that his chest is resting on my thighs, and then relaxing. A perfect way to give an unsuspecting walker numb legs...

No comments: