Monday 12 January 2009

Taking the bull by the horns

Since the strange case of Nicky biting Becky, he has been sharing with kennel-horror Angie.

Angie is a big, confident, black girl who takes no prisoners, and the theory is that no-one will be brave enough to bite her.

The first time I met her - several months ago - she bounced all over the place as she was being bought out of her kennel.

"She seems very pleased with herself," I said to the kennel hand. At which the kennel hand rolled her eyes and said: "Yes, she's just very pleased at being Angie."

Angie is strong, and will chase anything. As a result for the last few weeks I've been walking Angie and Nicky separately. However, she has proven to be really well behaved on the lead. (I've not seen the cat or the foxes while I've been out with her - and I suppose it could be a different matter if we spotted them).

She's also been quite good in the yard, and although she's very keen to take treats, I've found that if I tell her sternly "nicely" before I give her the treat, she'll take it very gently from my hand.

So this all resulted in me offering to take both Nicky and Angie out for a walk together. Silence fell. Then a quiet: "Are you sure?"

I replied that I was and that I'd bring the dogs back immediately if there were any problems. We were out for 40 minutes (I had to take a long phone call half way round the paddock) and both dogs were really well behaved. I'm sure Angie is just biding her time...

No comments: