Friday 23 January 2009

Becker epiphany

Becker is a pickle. He's a wonderful cuddly big black boy who just wants love and tickles. However he does himself no favours (with me at least) by his behaviour on the lead.

Becker is one of the few dogs that - until now - I have been unable to get under control on the lead. He just PULLS and PULLS. A total workout, but not a relaxing walk. (It has to be said that some of the other walkers seem to have found the knack with him).

He's absolutely gorgeous in the kennels, and likes nothing more than a tickle and a cuddle. And he loves his treats - and takes them very gently (once you've told him NICELY).

Sometimes, as he drags you around the paddock, he realises that maybe, just maybe, he's pulling a bit too hard, and stops with a look of utter apology on his face. "Sorry don't know my own strength."

However, yesterday I had an utter epiphany with Becker (or it might have been the other way round). I walked him in a harness.

WHAT A JOY. He walked TO HEEL. This is unheard of. He was BRILLIANT (well apart from one incident when he and another boy decided to grumble at each other - I just held him by the collar to make sure there was no silly nonesense. He soon calmed down).

I think Becker might have enjoyed it too because he wagged his tail for the entire walk.

No comments: