Friday 9 January 2009

Smarter than the average hound?

I think my little Topsy might be smarter than the average hound. (Now I've posted this I'm sure she'll prove me wrong be doing something really daft - either the next time I walk her or with someone else at the kennels).

She seems really quick on the take-up. I've already written about how gentle she is when she jumps up - most of the other dogs put their full weight on you and can knock you for six when then put their paws on your chest - but she seems to know that it's best to put barely any weight on you and just lean very lightly.

This has served her well. Topsy's partner Joe is a bit of a pig when it comes to treats. He's working towards the labrador-greyhound look and will eat all his treats and anyone else's that he can get his chops on.

Topsy has learnt - within a couple of weeks - that an easy way to ensure she gets her fair share of treats is to lean gently on my left forearm while they are being handed out. This means she is high enough above Joey to be able to take the treat from me without him being able to snatch it.

Another thing she learnt very quickly was how to open the gate at the bottom of the sprint. It only requires a push, but every other dog waits for me to open it for them, which can sometimes mean a juggling of leads. Topsy doesn't even break step, and opens the gate with her nose, and strides straight through. Clever girl!

I think this means that it might be quite easy to train her... although I suspect, like other smart dogs, she might become naughty if she gets bored.

No comments: